Friday, May 19, 2006

detox

Ben keeps bugging me about posting... don't know why... there's something darn cute about the geeky looking guy on our last post. But, whatever, Ben doesn't like it.

Thought I'd update you all on how the no TV thing is going. For those of you who don't know, Ben and I, as of June will have been without TV reception in our home for a year. Reason being: we (really Ben's decision) were tired of the pull. You know, you walk in the door, sit down on the couch and what's the first thing you do?? Yeah. Us too. The pull's strangely seductive and drug-like.

So, how's it going??

First few weeks were pretty hard. We were kinda at eachother because neither of us knew how to unwind without it.

But after eleven months there's not a thing we miss (excluding Packers and the office-which is the one show we download). It feels great to control something instead of it controlling us.

I feel like my mind has gone through detox. Really. It's pretty cool. All of the sudden I discovered that I have thoughts past 7pm and they were all mine, not fed to me by someone else trying to sell me something, give me their spin, or shift my thinking to the current of popular culture. I discovered that my children were talking to me and making me laugh instead of that strange buzz in the background that so often distracted me from what jennifer garner is upto now (cuz we're so tight). And that, before, I spent my evenings with a community of people that don't care about me and don't exist while hardly saying anything of significance to the love of my life. Weird how TV can do that. Best part: My relationship with Jesus goes to a whole new level. Just a little easier to think on him when my mind and heart aren't being pulled the other direction. (Not trying to be judgmental- just trying to be truthful.)

Anyway... I'll try to keep it a little lighter next time and tell you about Nate's plans for a fart machine...it's good.

So long, geeky Ben.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

good for you guys! I have often thought about going tvless, but don't have the courage to do it. Don't think Greg would be easy to convince either (especially during baseball season). However I will do my best to try and stay away, I just realized the other day how "addicted" I am. Thanks you guys for being a GREAT example.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home